Date: October 10-11, 2020
Time: 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Doors open at 8:30 AM.
Location: Woman’s Club of Bethesda, 5500 Sonoma Road, Bethesda MD, 20817
The moulage is the foundation of the couture pattern drafting system taught by the Ecole Guerre-Lavigne in Paris. This is a system of measuring the figure, calculating and drafting a pattern that will fit the torso like a second skin, incorporating any of the infinite variations of the shape of the human figure can take.
In this class you will:
- Learn how to take figure measurements accurately and completely.
- Draft your own body double (moulage) in paper.
- Test the moulage in muslin and have adjustments marked by Professor King
- Learn how to add wearing ease to create a sloper (a basic unit of pattern drafting)
Level: This class does not require advanced construction techniques. Students who are comfortable sewing accurately with a sewing machine and installing a zipper will complete the most work.
Instructor: Kenneth King
Kenneth D. King is a couturier, fashion educator, and Threads contributing editor.
Kenneth designs haute couture evening wear. He teaches as an adjunct professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in its haute couture program.
Kenneth teaches a wide range of sewing techniques-from fitting to couture construction to vintage embellishments-at sewing expos, independent sewing studios, in online courses, through instructional DVDs such as Smart Fitting with Kenneth D. King, and as an author.
This class is limited to 12 registrations of $700/ seat.
$350 deposits taken until September 10, 2020 or the class sells out.
Note: Some students have reported problems with the payment system when registering online. If your registration payment isn’t loading properly, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the contact us page and let us know so we can help you and confirm your participation.
$350 balance due by September 10, 2020. We will bill you through PayPal for this balance. If you prefer to pay another way, please contact us at email@example.com.
Registration will be open until September 10, 2020 or the class sells out.
There is no materials fee. Please contact us if you have trouble finding any of the materials.
Students should wear a leotard or other tight fitting garment, with their desired foundation garments, to the first class. This facilitates accurate measuring.
Students should bring:
- Drafting ruler (the one with a ⅛” grid ruled in red is fine)
- Drafting square
- French curve
- Pencils: at least one graphite #2 and three colored pencils
- 3-4 yards white craft paper, at least 30” wide, not the Swedish tracing paper
- Clear adhesive tape (such as Scotch Magic tape)
- Tape measure
- 2 yards of elastic, ½” wide
- 1 piece of chain or limp cord for marking the neck during measuring
- 3 yards of muslin fabric
- A 30” separating zipper
- Basic sewing supplies: paper scissors, fabric shears, thread, pins, needles
- Dual tracing wheel
- Carbon paper
- Sewing machine in good working condition with a power cord and foot pedal.
- If you need to rent a machine, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2020 to reserve a machine for a fee of $20 per day.
We will supply:
- Ironing boards and irons
- Tea and coffee all day
- Light refreshments
We will be sewing in the Woman’s Club of Bethesda’s large ballroom.
The clubhouse has two bathrooms, changing space, and a cafe room where students may take their meals and breaks away from their sewing materials.
We are the only renters for the weekend, so you can leave your materials safely overnight.
Lunch and Beverages
Lunch will not be provided.
A warming kitchen is available and includes 2 ovens/ranges, a refrigerator and microwave for those wishing to warm up their own lunch. In addition, there are many restaurants nearby.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have questions about what will be available or have special dietary needs.
Transportation and Parking
The metro red line Medical Center Station is a 5 minute drive from our location.
The J2 bus picks up near the Medical Center Station every 15 minutes. Get off at the W Cedar Ln & Old Georgetown Rd stop. From there, it is a 5 minute walk to the Women’s Club.
Surface parking is free in the attached parking lot.