Date(s) - 07/31/2021
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
When: July 31, 2021, 11am to 1pm EST
Where: Anywhere, through Zoom.
Cost: $40/ student
Please join Jennifer Stern in a class that will get you really comfortable with your serger and finish a project that’s perfect for the hottest time of the year. A recording will be available to students after the session for review.
This simple A-Line Skirt is the perfect canvas to showcase a few decorative techniques you can achieve using the 3-Thread Flatlock/Reverse Flatlock stitch on your serger.
First we’ll customize the pattern to a length that’s flattering for you. When we cut out the pieces, we’ll cut some sample fabric to practice with first. After perfecting the settings on your serger to get great results with the fabric you picked out to make your skirt, we’ll sew the center front/back seam detail. To make sure the fit is perfect, baste the front and back pieces together for a quick test fit. Then we’ll finish constructing the skirt. Learn how to create an easy waistband and “Not So Blind – Blind Hem”. To finish the skirt, you can add elastic or a drawstring to snug up the waistband. Bonus, this skirt can be worn as a strapless beach cover up too!
This class has some homework. Before class, please compare your full hip measurement to the garment measurement chart to pick your size. Choose the size closest to your full hip measurement. Trace your size on pattern tracing paper before class. A PDF of the pattern is included in the class. If you would prefer a paper pattern, purchase it online here.
- The Flatlock Skirt Pattern pieces
- Your size traced on pattern paper (see homework above)
- 1 1/2 yards prewashed French Terry or other soft drapey knit fabric with 10% – 20% stretch.
- 1 spool of Woolly or Bulky Nylon (black or a contrasting color for your fabric)
- 2 spools of all purpose serger thread (that match the color of your fabric)
- 1 yard of elastic (for waistband, if using)
- basic sewing supplies (scissors, pins, seam ripper, tape measure)
- tracing paper
- scotch tape
- 18” clear grid ruler
- serger with instruction manual for reference
- sewing machine, for basting